Monday, March 2, 2009

enjoy the moment

Enjoy the moment.  What exactly does this mean? People always throw this phrase around as much as the infamous three words; I -Love - You. Parents tell you to enjoy the moment, teachers tell you to enjoy the moment, and friends tell you to enjoy the moment. Before I embarked on my journey to discover my true self, I had trouble understanding what my peers meant when they told me to simply enjoy the moment. I would attempt to do multiple things at once, only to do one or more of the tasks carelessly. I would miss the enjoyment of the conversation or what I was doing. I would miss the lessons of life and the opportunities that were present. I was in such a hurry all the time and I was becoming stressed out. When we become aware of the moment as a still shot rather than an ongoing scene, we understand the clear purpose that has been presented before us. We notice the beauty in what others are saying, in artwork, and life itself. The opportunities that we may chose to accept or decline become more apparent and we feel more relaxed. We enjoy tasks such as; doing the dishes, sitting in traffic with the radio on, and buying food at the crowded supermarket. For a minute I'd like you to stop reading these words. Close your eyes and think about what you were doing an hour ago and how it has affected your life. Try to picture what the moment looked like, smelled like, and maybe even tasted like. Was it just another event to check off on your schedule or did you actually enjoy yourself? did you learn anything? did you feel relaxed or stressed? Ask yourself many questions about the moment. Doing this on a daily basis can increase your awareness and make you realize life is about enjoyment not being stressed 24/7. Meditation techniques are great and are proven to relax the mind, body, and soul. If everyone in the world would just pause for a second, stop what he or she is doing, and simply enjoy, society would be a much brighter place.

Geoff

No comments:

Post a Comment