Thursday, March 12, 2009

The Color of Passion

Passion as defined by the dictionary; an intense desire or enthusiasm for something. A strong and barely controllable emotion. 

Why am I bringing up passion today? I sat down with a good friend from toastmasters earlier and we spoke for a good 2 hours on why some people are successful and some are not. He explained to me that successful people have a certain passion for what they do in life. These people decided from a young age what it is they wanted and set their mind to that, no matter how many times he/she failed.  Nothing can come in the way of a person who is passionate about something. I spoke about flow during a prior post, which is when you reach a level, where nothing matters, and you are passionate about what you are doing. You get lost in the moment, and nothing else matters. I  know 100% that each and every one of us has a passion for something in life. This passion may be to read, to write, to speak, to play music, to dance, to cook, to care for young children, to operate, etc etc. Most of us never fulfill our passions because of self doubt for one reason or another.  I watched a great movie last night, Fight Club, which presented a scene that has been haunting me all morning. The scene was when Brad Pitt held a gun up to a mans head and said something along the lines of, "What is it that you dreamt of doing in life!"  the man who was  petrified responded with, "I don't know, Please don't shoot me, I don't want to die!"  Brad Pitt explains to him that he will die if he does not answer this simple question. The man finally blurts out that he wanted to be a veterinarian all of his life, but it was too much schooling.  Brad Pitt asked, " Do you want to die outside of your convenient store or are you going to run home and pursue your dreams?"  I thought this scene was absolutely brilliant and very powerful.  What if your life was on the line and you were asked, what it is that you are most passionate about - What did you dream of doing the rest of your life as a young child ? What do you dream of doing now? How would you answer? what would your reasoning be that you are not accomplishing what it is that you dream most about? would you sadly say that it would take too long? that there are a million people out there doing it already? or something along the lines of, my dream is impossible? - lets use an example we often hear about actors and actresses.  Many people want to become famous actors or actresses though many don't stay persistent enough to see the light at the end of the tunnel - Why?  because after failing to get the part he or she wanted multiple times, many start having doubts. These people think that there are a million people chasing the same dream and if I haven't succeeded yet I never will. These people are chasing the dream for the wrong reason and see fame and money as the prime motivator. I feel that the people who caught the dream, stayed determined through the thick and thin. these individuals poured their heart and soul into what he or she was doing. These actors and actresses that we see on television have a passion to act. The fame and money are just bonuses. These people who are famous and successful are the ones giving back to the less fortunate with their earnings. These people know that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE! One of my favorite actors, Jim Carrey, was booed off stage in the early part of his career. After the show he sat on top of Hollywood Hills and wrote a check to himself for 10 million dollars with the memo - "For services rendered." This man is now one of the highest paid actors in the business. Jim Carrey had a vision for himself, he had the heart and soul, and he stayed persistent, no matter how many times he was rejected.  Any dream big or small is possible, you just need to dust off what you have learned, and clearly define what it is that you want. What color is your passion? Ask  yourself, "What are my dreams, What will I do to get there, and how long will it take me." Then say to yourself, " My Dreams are real, What I think about most is my reality, and anything is possible." I hope all of you have a great week!

Geoff Goodman

No comments:

Post a Comment