Friday, March 6, 2009

Nurturing your inner child aka become more creative

Happy Friday everyone! I hope all of you are doing well and getting excited for the warm weather to come this weekend!  The blog today is about nurturing your inner child. You may  have heard the term, "inner child" used before and thought, wow thats really odd. Everyone has a playful and creative side to them though many people do not keep this creativity and playfulness alive. Many people suffer from stress and simply live their lives too seriously. I recently got caught up reading a book called, "The Artists Way" - by Julia Cameron, which goes through steps that you can take to keep your creativity candle lit and discover your true self . She highlights that we must spend time to ourselves going on adventures whether it be to an art museum, a stroll around the park, or simply doing something that made us happy as a young child.  This is called our Artists date. It may seem odd at first going somewhere or spending time alone especially if you have trouble being by yourself. After a while of doing it, the process becomes second nature and you enjoy the adventures you embark on.  The next thing she calls for is to keep a journal in the morning. (I found you can do this both in the morning and night time). This journal is meant to free up the clutter that is in your mind and allow you to express your true self more freely. Ms. Cameron states that even if you have nothing to write about just write! write blah blah blah blah if you have to.  I did both of these exercises and at first felt very odd. I felt like I was keeping a diary and was spending too much time alone. After a month of doing this I started realizing I was becoming more creative and when I was with my friends I was interpreting things from a different angle.  I was saying and writing ideas that were absolutely brilliant.  The book discusses further how you can free up the clutter in your head and live a more enjoyable and creative lifestyle. I am excited for all you to try these ideas and for those who do not - so be it. If at this point you think this is nonsense and you have doubts - you may go onto amazon.com  and read the reviews on the book. There you will  see that even the top ceos and executives in companies use these methods. 

I wish you all the best

Geoff 

No comments:

Post a Comment